What is a J2 Visa?

Would you like to bring a loved one with you when you travel? Read all about how you can do just that with a J2 visa.

If you already have a J1 Visa or are planning to apply for one, you may already be thinking of the adjustments that your temporary move to the United States will entail. For instance, if you are married or have children, you may not want to leave them alone. In such a situation, you would do well to find out if the person you would like to bring with you is eligible for a J2 Visa

A J2 Visa is issued to either the spouse or dependent of a J1 Visa holder. The dependent must be a child of the J1 Visa holder who is neither married nor 21 years of age or older. Since not all programs allow for J2 Visas, it is best to check first with your Visa Specialist before attempting to apply. Furthermore, the sponsor should authorize the application, so checking beforehand is absolutely necessary. Make sure you have all of the requirements on hand to facilitate a hassle-free application process.

Once the J2 Visa is granted, the holder can enjoy a number of privileges. For instance, it may be possible to get an Employment Authorization Document from the Department of Homeland Security. The J2 Visa holder is also allowed to stay in the United States for as long as the J1 Visa holder's status is valid.

To apply for a J2 Visa, you will need to get a Form DS-2019, which will allow you to get an appointment for interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Your Visa Specialist will be able to advise you on how to go about the process.

Please, keep in mind that a J2 visa is completely dependent on the J1 Visa. Therefore, if the J1 visa gets denied, the J2 visa will not be granted either. For this reason, it is highly advisable to only start the J2 visa process after the J1 Visa has been secured.

For any visa related questions, contact info@placement-int.com


Copyright © 2022. All Rights Reserved.